23 Jan All About Dental Veneers
A great smile with healthy looking teeth is something that many people in Colorado Springs and across the country wish they had. Teeth come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors depending on your genetics and external environmental factors such as injury or poor dental hygiene. If you fall into this category you may be left wondering what options, if any, you might find from your local dentist to improve the look of your teeth.
You may have heard about dental veneers as an option. Veneers could be your answer. They are a semi-permanent solution that can fix problems such as cracked or chipped teeth, irregularly shaped teeth, or yellowing allowing you to experience a beautiful smile.
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are typically constructed of porcelain or resin which comes in a tooth mimicking color as to appear as natural as possible. The materials used, make teeth strong much like your natural enamels. Because they are made of thin, strong materials they last for years and make chewing and swallowing easy.
Dental veneers are made custom for each person in order to create a snug and comfortable fit. After everything lines up they are then bonded to the tooth’s enamel over a few dentist office visits.
What To Expect From A Veneer Fitting
In general, the process for fitting and creating custom veneers is straight forward but may vary between patients.
- In some cases, local anesthetic s used for those with sensitive teeth. Once administered (if necessary) the dentist will then clean your teeth and identify the right shade for the veneers.
- After the initial cleaning, your dentist will then remove a very thin layer of enamel in order to accommodate the veneer replacement.
- An impression of the tooth is then made and your dentist will then pace a temporary veneer over the teeth.
- With the impression, a custom veneer is created and placed upon a follow-up visit to the dentist. Through a process of etching, rinsing and drying the new custom veneer is then placed and bonded to the teeth.
- After the bond is set using a curing light to help strengthen the veneer in place, your dentist then goes ahead and removes unneeded build up from the initial process.
- Typically a follow-up visit is necessary in order to make sure everything looks and feels good.
There are many options to choose from when it comes to cosmetic dentistry. Esthetic Family Dentistry specializes in many different ways to make your smile the best it can be.
Are Veneers The Right Choice For Me?
Choosing veneers will help with many aesthetic issues for your teeth, but may not always be the best option. Some downsides to veneers are that they tend to be more expensive than other treatments. The dentist must also scrape away a thin layer of enamel in order for the veneers to fit.
The ideal person suited for veneers is those with prominent chips, cracks or worn teeth or even severely discolored teeth. If you only suffer from poor tooth alignment or mildly discolored teeth there are better options out there, but always check with your dentist if you have questions or concerns first. Simple teeth whitening or orthodontic work might be a better answer.
Once you have custom veneers placed into your mouth there is also precautions and care you should keep in mind. In order to make them last years and to avoid costly veneer replacement you should always:
- Keep up with good dental habits like brushing and flossing twice daily or after meals.
- Avoid foods that stain teeth like soda and coffee.
- Minimize high sugar foods
- Listen to your dentist
If veneers for improving your smile sounds like something that might be an option for you we would love to hear from you. Esthetic Family Dentistry is a leading Colorado Springs dental office that specializes in many dental care procedures under one roof. We would be proud to have the opportunity to further discuss veneers as a dental option and answer any questions you might have.
Call us today to schedule an appointment or consultation or read more about veneers.